Being that this was the closest WBCCI International Rally in many years, eleven Airstream’s from our Metro-Detroit Unit (now SEMAC) found their way up to Escanaba July 22-29 for the 60th WBCCI International Rally. The last count I saw was 638 Airstreams on site plus those that were offsite.
Those who attended from Metro-Detroit (now SEMAC): Dave and Shirley Brendel, Jim and Mary Ann Chellman, Bob Martel and Lisa Sessa, Dick and Jean Martin, Joe Peplinski and Lorrie Robertson, Ed and Ethel Polsdofer, Robert and Linda Smith, Laura Steinberger and her fiancé Jack Morrow, Ken and Susan Stigleman and Steve and Elyse White brought their boys Oscar and Theo.
The trip to Escanaba was wonderful, the weather delightful and the company was superb! We were able to meet up with old friends and blessed to make new friends. Best family reunion I’ve ever attended.
There was so much to see and do. The week was then filled with Seminars, Vendors, Vintage Airstream Open House, Pet Show, Excursions plus a whole lot more. Some of the highlights included:
- Thursday July 20 – The Vintage Airstream Parade through town and the fairgrounds occurred a little earlier than usual and actually before the Rally officially opened.
- Saturday, July 22 – The Rally officially opened with the Parade of Flags and Opening Ceremony. The ceremony took over an hour – What an amazing way to start the week!
- Sunday, July 23 – All the shined up vintage Airstreams held their Concours de Elengance and Vintage Airstream Open House!
- Monday July 24 – We were served a Brat Dinner which was amazingly well organized. They sped us through the line and had us seated and eating in minutes. Entertainment Monday night was Hypnotist Doug MacCraw.
- Tuesday, July 25 – The day started with a Pancake and Sausage Breakfast. Again an excellent job was done serving all of us. Tuesday evening’s entertainment was Airstream Betty, a modern country/Americana band!
- Wednesday, July 26 – Another Pancake and Sausage Breakfast which was followed by the Delegates Meeting where the new officers were officially elected but there was no other new business. In the afternoon old friends and new friends from Metro-Detroit gathered together to share in a potluck in the DNR’s Pocket Park which was located on the Fairgrounds’. Wednesday evening the WBCCI Band treated us to a wonderful concert.
- Thursday, July 27 – We saw the presentation on 2018 International Rally which will be in Salem, Oregon. All of Region Four was invited to a luncheon and again the food was amazing. Evening program was a Talent Show featuring WBCCI members.
- Friday, July 28 – We were treated to a Fish Fry followed by about three hours of entertainment by Antsy McClain, a musician known for this 1950’s style, humor, and “trailer park” themed songs. He was really good and loves to entertain!
- Saturday, July 29 – There was a Flea Market and Craft Show and the evening brought the Installation of our new 2017-18 International Officers and the Closing Ceremony.
On Sunday, July 30, we pulled out and the trip home was filled with Airstream sightings, what a great way to end the trip.